BUS 365 WEEK 9 QUIZ 8 CHAPTER 11
1. Managers rely on business intelligence, data mining, and the decision support systems in order to minimize __________.
a) business processes
b) inventory loss
c) customer dissatisfaction
2. What levels of management can today’s BI vendors’ products and software-as-a-service (SaaS) packages support?
a) tactical or operational
b) strategic, tactical, or operational
c) strategic or operational
d) entry and middle
3. What types or sizes of organization can afford today’s BI packages?
a) Fortune 500 and national government agencies only
b) major global corporations only
c) major global and large corporations only
d) all sizes including small and medium enterprises
4. The latest BI tools provide __________, which are reducing managers’ dependence on analysts and tech staff.
a) a high degree of self-sufficiency
b) complex interfaces
c) programming languages
d) query languages
5. DIRECTV’s business model is based on great customer service, attracting new customers, and preventing __________, in which customers switch to a competitor’s service.
c) customer churn
d) customer downsizing
6. As a manager, what type of problems would indicate that you could benefit from a BI solution?
a) Not having the right data
b) Low demand products
c) Slow network speeds
d) High fixed costs
7. From an IT perspective, which of the following best describes BI and BI apps?
b) Support a specific objective
c) A collection of ISs and technologies
d) Web-based systems designed for for-profits
8. The value of __________ to managers is that these apps pull data from a data warehouse or other data store and then graphically depict the data in meaningful displays.
c) decision support systems
9. The term __________ started in the music world, but has been adopted by IT to mean an application that combines data from different sources into a new application.
10. WildTrack is using a BI data analysis solution from SAS to track and monitor their constantly changing __________, which are endangered African rhinos.
c) raw materials
d) supply chain
11. At Jamba Juice, poor quality data was damaging profits so traditional BI was deployed at the __________ level; and operational BI was deployed at the __________ level.
a) corporate; store
b) transaction; product
c) accounting; marketing
d) strategic; regional
12. __________ BI apps use real-time or near real-time data in order to support line managers who need to monitor performance of his or her business processes.
13. In a tight economy with high interest and unemployment rates, any business project requiring a large financial investment needs to __________.
a) be economically justified
b) be approved by all senior managers
c) provide a competitive edge
d) improve operational efficiency
14. When you need to justify an IT investment, a(n) __________ is required to document your initiative and to move it through the approval and funding process.
b) business case
d) payback analysis
15. Which of the following is not one of the three key business goals used to sell management on the need for a BI consolidation program?
a) Lowering total cost of ownership
b) Enabling businesspeople to analyze information
c) Increasing productivity
d) Improving consistency of and trust in information and analytics
16. Which is not a characteristic or benefit of BI?
a) helps eliminate blindspots
b) integrates data silos
c) presents data in visual displays
d) implemented by end-users
17. An advantage of __________ is that they are a way to access a particular view of data or to analyze what’s happening.
b) data mining
c) predictive analytics
18. Three core functions of __________ are query, reporting, and analytics.
c) data warehousing
19. Data mining and __________ tools are used to find relationships that are not obvious, or to predict what is going to happen.
c) predictive analytic
20. After data has been loaded into a data warehouse, data tables can be linked to form __________, which is another term for multidimensional databases.
a) data cubes
b) relational databases
21. Why does UPS use data analysis and visualization as part of its tactical and strategic planning process?
a) Delivery time is mission-critical
b) Workers need to quickly adjust operations as new information is received
c) To build a single version of the truth
d) a and b
22. The IT architecture that is needed for BI depends on each of the following factors except:
a) the number of event-driven alerts
b) the number and type of data sources or ISs
c) how much data extraction and transformation needs to be done
d) the reporting timeliness that’s needed
23. Planning a BI implementation is a complex project and includes typical project management steps. Therefore, the first step in the BI planning process is to _____.
a) define the scope
b) define the budget
c) identify the resources needed
d) define the timeline
24. Extracted data, particularly when it’s extracted from multiple sources, is not in usable format. Because of this problem, __________ tools have to map the field names of the same data types; and then reformat the data itself into a standard format.
a) data transformation and loading
b) data extraction and transformation
c) data query and reporting
d) data visualization
25. __________ is the ability to get to data details at several levels, which can be done by a series of menus or by query.
a) Ad hoc analysis
b) Key performance indicator
c) Critical success factor
d) Drill down
26. An advantage of more advanced dashboards is that they present KPIs, trends, and exceptions using __________.
a) Adobe Flash animation
27. The strategic objective of __________ is to optimize the overall performance of an enterprise.
b) business performance management (BPM)
28. Today, BI ranks near the top of many companies’ IT purchase plans. What is the underlying reason for this interest in BI?
a) Costs and complexity of BI software have dropped significantly.
b) Managers are more IT and database literate.
c) Inflation and energy prices are cutting into profit margins and consumers’ disposable income.
d) All of the above
29. Text from documents, electronic communications, and e-commerce activities needs to be codified, which is typically done with __________.
a) HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
d) XML (eXtensible Markup Language)
30. In a __________, you are trying to find what others have prepared. With __________, you are trying to discover new patterns that may not be obvious or known.
a) query; Web mining
b) query; data mining
c) search; text mining
d) search: reporting
31. __________ is used to understand customer online behavior, evaluate a Web site’s effectiveness, and quantify the success of a marketing campaign.
a) Text analytics
d) Web mining
32. Which is not one of the characteristics or objectives of data mining?
a) The miner is often an end user.
b) Business sections that most extensively use data mining are manufacturing.
c) Data mining tools are readily combined with spreadsheets.
d) Sophisticated tools help to remove the information buried in corporate files.
33. Data mining is important in detecting __________, especially in insurance claims and credit card use.
a) fraudulent behavior
c) prospective customers
34. Managers’ roles can be put into three categories based on Mintzberg. Which is not one of those categories?
a) Interpersonal role
b) Informational role
c) Strategic role
d) Decisional role
35. Decision makers go through four systematic phases. Which is the first phase?
36. Managers rely on decision models because they __________ the situation or problem.
37. Planning new services to be offered, hiring an executive, predicting markets, or choosing a set of research and development projects for next year are examples of __________ decisions.
38. Formal business procedures, cost minimization, profit maximization and algorithms, such as those used by eHarmony to match its members, are example of __________ decisions.
39. A properly designed __________ is an interactive application to help decision makers compile data and then analyze the data using business models.
40. A key benefit of DSSs is that they make it easy for manager to perform __________, which is the study of the impact that changes in one or more parts of a model have on the outcome.
a) sensitivity analysis
d) goal seeking
41. Basic components of a DSS include each of the following except:
b) model base
c) user interface and users
42. Since the 1960s, there have been five major generations, or cycles, of computing. Which represents those generations in order?
a) mainframes, miniframes, PCs, desktop Internet computing, mobile computing
b) minicomputers, servers, PCs, wired computing, wireless computing
c) mainframes, supercomputers, PCs, mobile computing, Internet computing
d) PCs, laptops, netbooks, mobiles, embedded processors
43. According to Morgan Stanley’s Global Mobile Internet Report (2009), __________ may be the fastest growing and most disruptive technology we have ever seen.
c) mobile computing
44. The __________ is the infrastructure for new generations of Web and mobile apps.
b) broadband network
c) 3G network
d) 4G network
45. Regarding mobile intelligence, __________ are locations such as the commuter train, aisle in a store, line in a factory, or retail floor where business people can make decisions without delay.
a) data centers
b) decision sweet spots
46. Twitter, Foursquare, and other real-time media add to or leverage capabilities of smartphones–improving your ability to be well-informed in real-time.
47. BI systems have eliminated a common organizational problem, which is simultaneously having too much data but somehow not enough.
48. It’s tough for managers to fully understand BI because BI apps are not stand-alone systems nor do they support a specific objective, as do SCM systems.
49. For-profit and nonprofit enterprises are getting more value from BI and existing data by extending information to all managerial levels and to employees.
50. Knowing how to interpret and act on the results from queries, reports, or analytics depends on BI capabilities.
More Questions are Included…